Friday, July 1, 2011

VBAC vs. C-Section

Katelyn was born on Friday, June 3, 2011 via vbac.  I had had a c-section with Savannah because she was breech.  I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to do another c-section this time, or try for a vbac.  When I found out she was in the right position-head down, I decided to try for vbac.  The kicker-was that I had to go into labor, my doctor would not start me.  So,until I went into labor I had no idea how I was going to deliver this little girl!  Anyways, I started having contractions, went to the hospital, and was only dilated to a 3-but was about dying with pain.  I got an epidural about 30-45 min. later, and by then I was dilated to an 8-and wanted to die!  That was the hardest part-dealing with those extremely painful contractions.  The rest was easy compared to that!  I did have to push for about 2 1/2 hours, which was tiring.  The best part of delivering vbac was that I got to hold Katelyn skin to skin about 10 minutes after she was born.  That was the coolest feeling, holding her close to me like that.  I loved it.  The recovery has been much quicker than c-section that is for sure.  I felt much stronger right after delivering, than when I had the c-section.  With the c-section, my stomach or scar area was weaker, and my whole body didn't really feel back to normal for about 6 weeks(from what I can remember).  Would I do a vaginal birth again?  Not sure.  It was a cool experience, I am glad to have been able to do it that way.  I like the idea of a c-section, because it is scheduled, you don't have to go into labor, and you don't have to sit around and push, either.  Of course, the down side is being cut open, and having to recover from that.  So, if I could avoid feeling the contractions, then I would do another vaginal birth.  I know, I am a total wuss when it comes to pain, that is for sure! 
 Here I am during the labor-the pusing part...
 Katelyn being checked out by the nurses.  She swallowed alot of meconium.
Here we are right after delivery!

6 comments:

Maggie & Nate said...

YEA!
Nicole you look great! Wanna see pics of Katelyn. Tell Vannah hi for us!

miss ya

The Cook Fam said...

Gosh that is so much time to have to push. My kids just kind of fly down the birth canal. I think they said it was a total of 13 minutes from when I was complete to delivery with my last baby. Congrats though. I want to see more pics of your family!!!

Katy said...

Glad to hear things went well. Sorry we haven't been in touch. I've been meaning to come see you and the girls, just busy and tired waiting for our impending arrival. Lots of love from the Footes.

Heather said...

Soooo....let's see some pictures of Katelyn! :)

Arizona Girl said...

I am so happy for you that you got to have a vbac. It sound like it was a much more positive experience than your first delivery. I didn't know that you had a csection with Savannah. Congrats!!

Robbie and Darcy said...

Thanks for sharing! I am totally nervous! I don't think I knew you had a csection.